Saturday, May 21, 2005

From New York to Bangalore: The iPod and Globalization

I'm finally fully digitized. 2 weeks ago I bought my first PDA by PalmOne so I could get my life better organized. I used to put everything on post-its and various other sources of clutter. No, my trusty palm takes care of all that for me. It is pretty cool knowing exactly what your day will look like the second you wake up.

Then today, NYC got hit with an august-remeniscent thunderstorm -- so I ran into a Best Buy for cover. One minute in, and I was being sold an IPod shuffle for 99 bucks. I've always wanted an Apple iPod but didn't want to spend the 200 dollars for it. So I compromised and went with a shuffle, which Im certain will make subway rides and trips to the gym much more pleasant.

I also got a taste of online piracy today -- the girl at Best Buy referred me to Limewire -- A P2P music file sharing system that has apparently dethroned Napster, KazAA, and Bear Share. To think that I was ready to drop ten dollars on a Cure CD last week - just right now, in a matter of 46 seconds, I've been able to find the song I wanted and store it right onto my hard drive for zero cost to me. Wake up and smell globalization, folks -- somewhere in Bangalore, India, another twenty something is downloading the same song, playing his part in the communications convergence & disaggregation process that defines our current crisis.

About Us | In the News | Management | Contact Us | Archive | Premium Membership | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Careers | FAQ

All quotes are 15 minutes delayed. Copyright © 2006 by Catablast! Media Group LLC, part of the SeekingAlpha network. Web Design by Synexio Systems. All Rights Reserved.